Monday, January 21, 2008

I wish, I was a Kid once again


One of the Nokia ads used to say " There's a kid in every man... that's why we have games in our Mobiles..."

Seeing one of the display pics in a friends profile, I was inspired to write this blog - "I wish, I was a kid once again". I remember growing up, my elder friends used to tell me not to be in such a hurry, indicating that you have the rest of your life to grow up. I wish I had listened.... but I did not had a choice. To be a kid again, I think is more an adult way of saying that "we wish we could go back and change things". There's always the "what if I'd done this..." factor that runs through the back of our minds when we think about the ease of childhood.

I have been the memebr of the Orkut group "I Want to be a Kid Once Again" ever since I started Orkuting. As of today, there are 35,293 members in the group. I am not the only one who has this feeling..

I long for the days when I didn't know so much. When I didn't know where the sun went at night, how tall the trees were behind my house, how far away a star was, what about a song that drew me in. When I didn't care about money and how the bills were going to be paid.When I didn't think about what people thought about me. When I didn't worry about tomorrow or fret about yesterday. When I didn't know about how much people hated each other. When I didn't know that all the beautiful places in the world were being commercialized. When I didn't have any idea how dirty politics were. When I didn't wonder who my real friends were or where they were. When I didn't try so hard. When I slept through the night .. to sleep through the night again.

I feel nostalgic thinking about my school days. I don't know.. may be I just need a day, to go back in time, behind the long drawn curtains of memory. I use to wait for my summer vocation to end. I will be getting new uniforms, umbrellas and bag. And rain would start on my way to school..without fail, I used to smile at the rain drops that splashed on my umbrella.. the umbrella cloth was a lot different those days. Water drops would roll by and the handle of the umbrellas were transpraent with designs inside....

These days when I visit the shopping malls and see kids with the cheesy grins on their faces, like they were on top of the world... (remember James Cameron's dialogue when he won the oscar ... I am the king of the world)... And it gets me to think. I wish things were that easy, not to care for anything.. enjoy the days... have quarells with my sis.. and friends, play cricket in the yards, plucking flowers and doing flower arrangements for onam.... days in the Oonjal.... my God... I wish, i could be back to my school yard.. and sing the Malayalam song which I learned when I was in my sixth:

Oruvattom koodiyen ormakal meyunna thirumuttathethuvan moham.....
Thirumuttathorukonil nilkunnoranelli maramonnuluthuvan moham......

But I'm not a kid, I'm a grown up. I'm one of those people that seems to think survival is success. At least that's what I feel I'm supposed to believe. I think I'll just keep wishing I was a kid again and maybe, just maybe, I'll get lucky enough to relive one of those beautiful realities.

Verutheyee mohangal... ennariyumbozhum... veruthe mohickuvan moham.....

1 comment:

Anju Menon said...

Memories haunt me like hell!!!

just went through the blog....and i felt i wish the same what u have in mind...i wish i could be a kid again.....

well written....with a good spirit...

its one of my favourite poems...ur blog revived the full swing of scvhol days...for a while in me....

keep blogging....

a fan of urs...in all senses......