Sunday, May 4, 2008

P.S I Love You

Habits seldom die. I have this habit of finishing the book I am reading and then moving to the next, even if it takes me years to finish the book am reading. In short, I do not touch another book, without finishing the one I am reading. This is why it took me so long to read "P.S. I love you", gifted by my fiancée.

I am not the kind of person whom you could describe as reader of emotional novels. However, this particular novel by Cecilia Ahern had me glued to the pages. Its story and characters touched my heart and at times I found myself sighing.

"P.S I Love you", is a tale about loss, those who are left behind and how they cope after a death. The story hovers around Holly and Gerry, a young Irish couple. Holly couldn't live without her husband Gerry, until the day she had to. They were the kind of young couple who could finish each other's sentences. When Gerry succumbs to a terminal illness and dies, 30-year-old Holly is set adrift, unable to pick up the pieces. But with the help of a series of letters her husband left her before he died and a little nudging from an eccentric assortment of family and friends, she learns to laugh, overcome her fears, and discover a world she never knew existed.

Gerry calls it the list of things to do. It started off as a joke. Holly and Gerry "fight" over who should turn off the bedroom light. Gerry jokes asking, "What will you do when I'm gone?" She replies saying her new husband will do it. It's then Gerry says he's going to make her a list of things to do/not to do. #1 being, turn off the light. #2, watch out for the bed post. (Because the light is now off and she can't see as she makes her way back to bed.)

The letters were sent by Gerry to Holly's parent's home where he thought the package would be safe until Holly is ready to receive them. She receives the letters in sealed envelopes, one for each month, instructing her of tasks she must complete each month. Though some of the letters sound silly, they have a purpose. They help Holly move on with her life.

We watch Holly do her best to move on with her life. She has her good days and she has her bad. When her best friend, Denise announces she's getting married and her other best friend Sharon, announce she's pregnant on the same day, Holly is genuinely happy for them. But she has those feelings of loneliness, hurt and being left behind.

I really liked this book. It made me laugh, it made me sad, and it made me misty eyed. It made me think what I would do in Gerry's shoes. I am not writing anything further on the book. I liked it; it’s up to you to find out if you do....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The story as i guessed traversed a long journey into the minds of all readers...what would i do in gerrys shoes..is a question which arised in my mind too....memories is all what i could leave.that was my hearts answer to it....its still a mysterious feeling for me....

"p.s I LOVE YOU"