Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A beautiful Smile

Peace begins with a smile. ~Mother Teresa

smile As I stepped outside today, I took a long breath in appreciation of the freshness of the air which the rain had left behind. All the colours looked richer and expressed their beauty yet more refined. The birds sounded cheerful and seemed to sing a song of gratitude for yet another loving reminder that a wonderfully unseen Hand holds all together.

It was a beautiful day. Well, winter is gone and spring is almost here. I can see the daffodils flowering all around me. I could feel the sun penetrate through my clothes and I felt comforted by its warmth. I closed my eyes as I listened to the background noise of people talking and children laughing. The animals seemed especially happy for it was an unusually beautiful day.

I was looking on to River Lee and the terns in it from the bridge above. As drops of rain fell, I closed my eyes for a moment and enjoyed the Irish rain and its beauty. I opened my eyes and just then, a little girl of about 4 years passed by me. She held on to her mother's hand and I could tell in her eyes that her life was endowed with love. She was beautiful. Her eyes danced with innocence and beauty. I smiled at her and she quickly and tenderly smiled back at me. I watched as she and her mother passed by me. Then suddenly she turned and looked back at me and once more she smiled. I smiled back with as much tenderness and warmth as she had just given me. I nodded my head and waved my hand to her.

The happiness of the little girl made me think of all the children in the world whose eyes are dimmed with sorrow and the dance of joy cannot be seen. I thought of the many children who live in abuse and pain so unbearable, that the only thing they can do is to create an inward world where they can hide themselves in order to feel safe. They cannot express their loneliness and desperation, thus, only the streams of their tears that are shed in darkness, will keep life flowing for them.

Might they find understanding hearts and loving smiles to aid in their healing, as they dare to emerge from their very closed in world. May we all smile many tender smiles at others, since we know not on whose heart they may fall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a cute one......

Anonymous said...

Fantastic expression of thoughts. Your words could express the image in your mind exactly as you see it.