Saturday, November 3, 2007

About Blogs : From the City of Bloggers....

I have kept many-a private blogs, which I haven't shared. I believe, this is now time to go about going public with my blogs.

Whats best to go public other than writing about Blogs, themselves.

A search showed that there are 8,400 Bloggers from Chennai in Blogger.com alone... others have accidentally set their country as "Afganisthan" and so on... Hence the total count of Google Bloggers alone from Chennai can approximately be counted as 17,000 or more.

On the whole it is estimated that there are 5 million active Bloggers... now, think of those who are not active, Like me... that would also add up to a million... wow.... amazing, isnt it?

In my experience there are two categories of blogs. One is the traditional web-log where a web surfer shares his online discoveries. And the second is the web diary where person shares his or her thoughts of the day. Most blogs of either style often have elements of the other style once in a while. A diarist will often discuss a link while traditional web-loggers will commonly ramble on about something that happened to them that day.

The term was coined in 1999, and today Webster’s dictionary defines a blog as a “diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page.” More importantly, it says that blogs are “typically updated daily” and that “blogs often reflect the personality of the author.”

When I discussed blogging with a friend, the response was "Why are you going to do it"? or "What are you going to do with it".... my answer was "nuthing and a simple smile". Every blogger has his/her own answers to that question.

Some do it, to reach individuals with critical information, to express opinions, to teach students writing skills, or simply as an outlet for personal frustrations. Some do it for the passion of blogging.

An answer I found on the web for the above question is posted below:

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

Don't you think, thats a perfect description of blogging?

As a writer, I love sitting down to blog. When I start a post I have no idea where I'm headed. I just put down my thoughts. Some times I do write with pre-defined plans, but that's not the case most of the time.

But blog writing is like going off for a walk with no predetermined finish time or route, sometimes the walk is through the fields, sometimes along the streets. The typing: different from what I might write with a pen, the pen being much closer to the heart.

I write whatever comes to my mind; things that I’m passionate about, people I care about and issues that disturb or alarm me. To me, my blog is a place where I can think, express and be myself.

Well, I think that's enough for a first public blog... is it not? Will continue later with another one.

2 comments:

Sujatha said...

welcome to our world...eager to read more.

Unknown said...

As a person who invited Sunil in to the world of Bloggers and exchange views with the person, I have ignited a literary revolution.

This person if he starts something anew, he will master it and show others "How to do it".