Monday, October 20, 2008

It's Raining

HeavyRain It's been raining for a couple of days, and yesterday evening saw the highest rainfall in the recent times. The rain started as a passing shower, then became a steady cadence. Heavy drops thud the skylight. The music almost lulls me to sleep.

Scientifically, Rain is liquid precipitation. On Earth, it is the condensation of atmospheric water vapour into drops heavy enough to fall, often making it to the surface. It is also the primary source of fresh water for most areas of the world, providing suitable conditions for diverse ecosystems, as well as water for hydro electric power plants and crop irrigation.

For me, it is one of the best gifts that Mother Nature has blessed us with. I love to walk in the rain. In my days of forest visits, I always longed for rain. Its a beautiful feeling to hear to its noise as it drops. It also served as an inspiration for me and made me forget all my worries.

My most memorable walks were those on rainy days on the way back home from school. There was something happy and frolicsome arainbout jumping in the puddles. We would lift our heads to the sky and let the rain fall on our faces with our mouths open wide, as if to tell the heavens to pour out its sweetest drink it had to offer. I loved watching the bubbles rise in the puddles as each droplet made its own statement. I loved seeing the leaves wet and rich in colour, as the rain rolled off, only to await its next drop.

When our lives feel thirsty and dry, it is the rain that comes to quench that thirst. At times it is clothed in pain and sorrow, and its mantle feels heavy on our shoulders. Still, the fresh water that is poured between each crack, and between each rocky place, flows deep into the rich, warm soil of our hearts. It then brings healing to our brokenness as our earth mends itself with the gift it has been given.

It is after such a rainy season that we take notice that something new and beautiful has been created - something we have never seen or noticed before. It is a gift that is held close to the heart and cherished forever.

No comments: