Friday, January 2, 2009

Reminiscing:

diary I stumbled upon the habit of diary writing 15 years ago and my set of personal diaries hold a lot of memorabilia. Some times it is essential to look for inspiration in droning period of life. Reading a few pages of the diary puts the zing back into the tedious life. Writing diary used to help me relive the cheerful moments that makes me happy again. In fact it is fantbulous to look backwards and find the lost days again. Maintaining the habit of diary writing helps improve memory. One can come to more logical conclusions of the events happened in the past as the strong emotions attached to the incident melt down and one can think calmly and reasonably.

It is perhaps one of the best things that has happened to me.  I started writing my diary when I noticed tears in an elders eyes, as he was going through his diary which he wrote some 42 years ago. Looking into his eyes, I could see events of his past unfolding. It was as if he was having a real trip down the memory lane. That was fifteen years ago and I was just 15 then. But have I been doing justice to my Diary off late? No, I haven't been. I have only scribbled a few pages in my diary in the past two years.  Though I am ashamed to admit it, it remains the fact.

Today, the pace of our lives are very fast. There is hardly any time to ruminate on our actions and their consequences. Like I posted earlier, I do not remember what I was doing on the wee hours of 2007. If I had updated my diary on the day, I need not have to struggle to remember. Writing diary at the end of the day will help you face your actions. If you jot down your problems the way out will be clearer as writing about your troubles helps finding solutions faster.

Pen your daily work and see the sea change in your routine. Mark your completed tasks and see yourself nearer to your goal. Your diary will constantly remind you of your ambition and desire and will prevent you from distracting from your focus. This is a good exercise for your brain keeping it energetic and razor-sharp.

Many surveys illustrate that the persons who write diary have a greater chance of shining with flying colours than those who do not maintain journal of any kind. In one research carried out in Yale, barely 5% students of 1953 batch put their ambitions in black and white. After 20 years, in 1973, this five percent was the owner of the 90% of the batch’s net worth. People who have an idea of what they want to become in their life, attempt to reach the target. But they are somewhat successful as though they had aim in their mind, they did not have particular, distinct in front of them. Honesty and discipline are other factors that join hands with success when one makes writing diary a routine. Thus writing about your goals in a diary encourages taking positive steps towards the achievement of your aspirations in life.

With the current pace of life, we might forget many simple things that happened to us. Meeting an old friend, noticing the rainbow, the strange call of a bird. I haven't been just to my Diary after 2005.  It will not be so from now on. It’s a promise that I have made to myself.

Writing a diary holds the following advantages too:

Memory : By noting down the day's events in a journal every night, we are forced to jog our memory as we recalls the events of the day. This exercise keeps the brain sharp and active, and it also increases memory. In fact, sitting down every evening and recalling the events of the day is a yogic exercise. May be we can escape from the claws of Alzheimer's by doing this.

Honesty : Keeping a journal also encourages honesty, because rarely do people lie to their diary. There is really no point in lying as no one will be reading our diary but for ourselves.

Discipline : Sitting down every night and writing a page or two in your diary is a discipline by itself. Random writing every once in a while naturally does not lead to discipline, but it does lead to some great memories. If we are regular with our diary writing, we are likely to be regular with other matters as well.

Keeping a diary or journal is a great way to express your emotions on paper and treasure experiences. Twenty years from now, you'll wonder what you were doing years ago. A diary will remind you of the good - and bad - times you had in your past. A diary can also help vent out anger and frustration as well as excitement. However, to make sure it is a complete document, you've got to stick with it. I am going to. What about you?

No comments: